Sunday, July 19, 2009

Things to do in Seoul, Part 2: Kim Chi Museum

Let me be the first to say that I find kim chi conceptually disgusting. "Fermented cabbage with peppers? Where do I sign up ... to leave?" But the pungent digestive had has gradually grown on me, and if you're near CoEX mall (Samseong subway stop) in Seoul, this museum is worth a visit.


The entry fee is cheap (around 3000 Won, or under $3, if I remember right) and for a meager couple thousand won on top of that you can take home a book ("Hot Pepper, Kim Chi, and Korean") as a souvenir.


The museum itself houses kim chi art (paintings), information about the numerous types of kim chi (ingredients, preparation methods, service seasons, etc.), and even a tasting room.


If you can negotiate the proper date and time to revisit the museum, you can even be a part of a kim chi making workshop. But such workshops are available at many locations in Korea (including, I'm assuming, several homes should you befriend the right locals).


But where else were you going to see a full canvas filled with photorealistic brush strokes depicting a pickled vegetable?


That's right, nowhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment