Saturday, August 1, 2009

Ch'alborippang is the Best Thing Ever!

Before I return to blogging about Gyeongju, I must mention something that, for no apparent reason, I forgot to address before:

Ch'alborippang. My new favorite food.

What is it?

Two small barley pancakes (about the size of your palm) with sweet red bean paste in the middle.

They're good.

Really good.

REALLY GOOD.

I think I ate about 30 of these in my time in Gyeongju. The perfection is hard to describe. They are pancake-house quality pancakes, yet prepackaged. The ratio of sweet bean paste to pancake varies by venue (from very little, like a stingy jelly sandwich, to a noticeable amount with extra pancake to hold the extra spread) but they are always super-mega-yum. Breakfast with coffee ... snack on the go ... IS THERE ANYTHING THEY CAN'T DO? I don't know.

For travelers with the Lonely Planet (Korea) in tow, note: ch'alborippang is the pancake sandwich mentioned in the Gyeongju chapter, not gyeonjuppang. Gyongjuppang is more bean paste (a lot of bean paste) in a cylindrical bread shell. Better for those who like bean paste but lacking the beautiful texture of the ch'alborippang.

And for family and friends: I'd bring you some, but unless I bought a suitcase full on the way to the airport, you'd never see them after a 14-hour flight. Guess you just have to come visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment